Riak is an open source, highly scalable, fault-tolerant distributed database. Different than traditional relational databases and other “NoSQL” (non-relational) databases, Riak offers benefits of enormous availability, replication and monitoring – all in a highly distributed deployment. Available in both an open source and a commercial version, Riak provides unprecedented read-and write-availability to enterprise, web and mobile applications.
Riak is available as:
- Riak OpenSource Distributed Database
- Riak Enterprise DS (additional features include multi-datacenter replication and provides customers with 24*7 support)
- Riak CS (powers public and private cloud storage platforms, enables multi-tenancy, large object support and S3 compatibility).
- Riak is designed to operate in highly distributed environments, such as the cloud.
- Riak has no single point of failure.
- Because of Riak’s distributed design, you can lose access to Riak nodes but never lose data.
- This makes Riak ideal for read and write-intensive web applications
- Riak’s scaling is simple and intelligent. Add nodes to clusters with just a few commands and no downtime.
- Many see Riak as the “building blocks” of a cloud data infrastructure.
- Its open source technology cuts down the cost of implementation, maintenance and upgrades.